Wednesday, December 26, 2012

the magic of Christmas


It really is magical, isn't it?
dscn4467_zpsc2210d2b
My memories of Christmas growing up all give me that magical feeling.
I can still remember riding in the back seat of my parents station wagon, on our way home from Lindi's on Christmas Eve. We saw a red blinking light in the sky, and I was terrified that Rudolph and Santa had passed by my house because I wasn't in my bed asleep yet.
That magic, is so much more fun when you are the one that gets to create it, and watch your child feel that excitement.
I feel like this Christmas was our "intro year"; the first year that Eli understood that Santa was coming. The first year that we set out cookies for him and filled his head with the story of the reindeer and Santa in the chimney. 
Santa's reindeer even showed up to prove that Santa really is real.
dscn4456_zps5aba5d46
So this year set the foundation for the years to follow. 
Eli actually witnessed what this Santa dude could really produce:
dscn4463_zpse918b045
dscn4460_zps7c789f31
dscn4459_zpsf1964661
and he will remember next year.
Eli's best two quotes were after the fact, way after, when we caught him mentally taking an inventory of what was under the tree.
To himself, we heard him say, "wook at all dees toys!". Then later, he told me that he got twenty-five new toys, the highest number he could think of.
Oh, and that purple tractor...
dscn4453_00_zps99232afe
it kind of got lost in the shuffle, but I'm sure when everything else gets boring, he will notice that tractor that his daddy (or santa's elves) worked so hard to get painted the perfect color for him.
He did get a silver tractor too, and the silver tractor "pulls", so automatically, the silver tractor is way cooler. He pulls froot loops, so THERE.
Photobucket
Sammy got a lot of baby toys, and to Eli, they were pretty cool, almost cooler than most of his own toys.
dscn4466_zpse7ef4785
We are working on sharing, but it is a LOT of work.

Eli got over his fear of the snow, and I built a snowman for the first time in 20(?) years. 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
I think it's time I invest in some snow boots, since it seems like we may be spending quite a lot of time in the snow this winter.

Our (early) Christmas with the boys was perfect, and I think we will repeat that from now on. It spreads Christmas out and makes it last much longer.
dscn4471_zpsb89a13af

Wauwau, papa, and anna Jack came on the 23rd, and we did our Christmas with them too.
dscn4470_zps0bc56b5d

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
dscn4479_zps75e60dbc
dscn4473_zpsda2d77de
We ate lots of food and Eli opened tons more gifts, and that was the beginning of the toy-nado that has taken over my house.

Then it was off to Mimi and big Papa's for more Christmas fun .
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Photobucket
Photobucket
My very very most favorite moment of Christmas this year, was when Gracie walked into my mom's
dscn4487_zps0629ecba
looking all like, what? This is my real hair. Why are you staring.
My little nieces...
AF359232-B149-41AB-81D8-1BF574A80700-10820-0000092DECECB06D, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
E954738C-EEC4-430B-865A-7A81710A9BDB-10820-0000092DE738E48C, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
9A0E2650-F12D-4DA3-83F0-F586C6D2A682-10820-0000092DF01B6D42, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
oh, how I love them.
These four kids...
Photobucket
the center of our universe.
dscn4489_zpse86ce8f4
dscn4483_zpsf1fc810c
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

This was a hard Christmas with my grandpa being gone.
Photobucket
(Christmas 2006)
We definitely felt his absense, and I could feel everyone else struggling with their own sadness.
dscn4518_zpscec58726

But the kids, the kids make it so magical.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
 (and new ipad's make it magical too.)
Photobucket
We had a wonderful Christmas time. 
It's sad that it's over for another year. 
Christmas seems to be like a book mark of our lives.
The end of a chapter of a book, the start of a new one. 
It's always a time where I reflect on how different things are from last christmas. 
How different they will be next Christmas. 
Photobucket
'08
Photobucket
'09 -- little eli on the way
Photobucket
'10
Photobucket
'11
Photobucket
litte sammy on the way
we are so very lucky. Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App dscn4493_zpsc503a902
we know it, and are thankful every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog